Stocking your fridge with healthy, appealing leftovers helps speed post-workout refueling. After a hard ride or run, wholesome, homemade meals are not only satisfying, but pack the most nutritional bang for your buck.
This easy recipe for Pad Thai, courtesy of professional IRONMAN triathlete Linsey Corbin, will bring color and spice to your post-workout table. “It’s chock full of a good balance of carbs and protein,” says Corbin. “I also like that you can mix a variety of ingredients as ‘toppings’ to make it just the way you like it.”
The best part? It makes enough so you’ll have a healthy post-workout meal planned, too, which Corbin says is key to keeping a triathlete’s nutrition on track.
For the noodles:
1 box of flat rice noodles (10 oz)
1-2 Tbsp of sesame oil (or olive oil works as well)
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 grilled chicken breast chopped (I usually grill up a few chicken breasts early in the week and use them in salads and dishes such as this one to cut down on cooking time. You could also substitute tofu or grilled shrimp).
For the sauce:
3 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
pinch of chili flakes or dash of Siracha (optional, but I like spicy)
For the garnish:
Handful of bean sprouts
Finely chopped cilantro
Finely chopped peanuts
1 jalapeño thinly sliced
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and remove from heat. Let them soak while you prepare the rest.
2. In a bowl whisk together the ingredients for the sauce: fish sauce, lime juice, soy, brown sugar & chili flakes.
3. Heat pan and scramble two eggs. Remove from pan.
4. Heat pan again to medium-high and add oil. Saute garlic a few minutes. Add bell pepper and carrots and let cook a few more minutes. Add in chicken (make sure it’s grilled or cooked). Cook a few more minutes.
5. Turn down the heat to low, add in sauce, scramble egg and drained noodles. Toss together until everything is mixed evenly.
6. Garnish with your choice of toppings - bean sprouts, cilantro, peanuts, scallions, jalapeño, and lime. Enjoy!
Originally shared on Ironman.com’s feature “Cooking with Corbin”